Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hoi

Hoi (hi) from Holland! It is my second full day here, and I am having a great trip so far. The flight went smoothly, although I didn't sleep a wink...Lufthansa has tasty airline food and high quality service (i love those hot steamy towels they give you to clean your hands)! I admit I did have a few moments of being overwhelmed upon arriving, thinking 'what have I gotten myself into'? But thanks to Trish- who picked me up at the airport, gave me my first Strippenkart (bus ticket) helped carry my luggage and got me to my dorm (she even made up my bed!)- I felt very welcomed. It is great to re-connect with an old friend.

Kathleen, Engy and I got up early this morning and walked to a cafe- very cool, cozy atmostphere, kind of a cafe/thrift store-with used dishes, light fixtures, and records around- I had a cappacino and croissant with strawberry jelly. It is true that everyone is fluent in English and it's challenging to practice Dutch since immediately when you begin speaking they switch to English. I have learned just to say "U.S." when people ask where I'm from- being as specific as Portland, OR results in puzzled looks. It's also true there are bikes everywhere- you see parents wheeling two kids around in a passenger bin attached to the front of the bike. I haven't seen one bike helmet, as compared to home where almost everyone has one.

The main challenge of my research at this time is finding contacts to interview. We have some professors to talk with so hopefully they have good suggestions for us. I am surprised not to see more women with headscarves walking around town, but it seems to be a lot of Dutch and then the tourists. I have heard there is a large Morroccan population in East Amsterdam so we may venture there soon. Well, almost time for dinner, so I will sign off for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home