Sunday, April 23, 2006

Internet Resources

Here are some internet resources I may find useful in my research project on Islam, Information, and Media:
1. Peaktalk.com: This is a blog by Pieter Dorsman of the Netherlands (along with occasional contributions by friend Ginna Dowler), discussing international topics, news, and issues, and more. It is conveniently divided by topic, so clicking on "Van Gogh" for example will yield all blog posts related to Van Gogh. The blog posts seem very connected with many of the research topics I'm exploring, and may help me to narrow my research as well. I would contact Dorsman himself at Peiter@peaktalk.com

2. Euro-Islam.info: This is a helpful site with information about Islam & Muslims in Europe, which includes "Country Profiles" (various countries in Europe incl. the Netherlands) and contains information about Islam for each country such as demographics, education, bias/discrimination, public perception, media coverage, etc. It also has links to the latest news connected with Islam and the Netherlands as well as other Euro countries. The site is maintained by a group of professors and researchers representing a variety of backgrounds. I would likely contact Mallory S. Purdie, a researcher at University of Fribourg, Switzerland, via her email: Mallory.Purdie@unifr.ch because she is doing research on similar topics.

3. Understanding Islam is an online community discussion site where a couple hundred members discuss aspects of Islam. This would be helpful for me to familiarize myself with the Muslim community and be able to ask questions and get a variety of perspectives from different people. It allows me to put in subject keywords to search and will retrieve discussions based on the subject, such as "Tolerance in the Netherlands". I would begin by becoming a member and posting a topic for discussion, or by contacting the moderator, Aasem, at asembuxi@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home