Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pragmatic Tolerance, Films, and Rick Steves

I'm responding here to a few different articles, as well as the films "Submission" and "Soldier of Orange".....
After reading the Pragmatic Tolerance article by Bert Gordijn, I feel that this approach is valuable but obviously challenging to achieve. I feel that Amsterdam is unique in the ability to establish an environment in which things are illegal but can be tolerated. As the author notes, this policy "can only be successful in a society in which certain historical and cultural conditions are given" (231). I cannot imagine the U.S. ever adopting this policy in the future- we operate in such a police state and spend so much time, energy and money trying to dictate morals to each other via the legal system. And the fabulous Rick Steves echos this in his articles, with examples illustrating the astounding amount of resources we put into our prison system. What if we could agree to spend our resources elsewhere, such as providing housing or food or higher wages for low income individuals and families? Would I even have a job as a social worker trying to assist elderly homeless people? Perhaps not. As I get older, I find myself getting greatly disenchanted with the U.S., and feeling that broadening my perspective by travelling abroad is less of a luxury and more of an essential need. I feel that even if I actively resist being an egotistic and "proud American" by living in a community that reflects my liberal values and beliefs (one reason I moved from the midwest to the west coast), even if I read literature from Africa or Cuba or learn other languages, even if I access alternative press that accurately reflects international issues, I still risk remaining immersed in my own little egotistic perspective- I hope that I will experience, like Rick, "life-changing travel"...
I thought the film "Submission" was very intense to watch, as it was meant to be. It was extremely powerful and brave. It's difficult to verbalize a reaction, almost. Why do we (the universal "we") put our safety and well-being below a belief system that allows abuse? Or is it that we misinterpret or manipulate the system so we can do what we want? We look at situations such as this film presents and immediately judge the woman, her abuser, the belief system that allows it. Can we look beyond, suspending our judgement for a moment, and have a real dialogue about the issues? What did the filmmaker hope for?
The film "Soldier of Orange" was powerful as well, and it successfully delivered a close perspective on the events of WWII and the German occupation of Holland. The group of friends in the film symbolized various choices one could make when faced with war- joining, avoiding, hiding, fighting, etc. (although the women seemed a bit stupid or ignorant at times). I always wonder what I would do in this situation. I've never been able to figure it out; reality is quite a different thing than speculation. Of course I would like to think I'd resist- but to what extent, how loudly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home