Monday, August 21, 2006

Switzerland

Tonight is my last evening in Amsterdam before heading to Lausanne, Switzerland for the conference where we're presenting the research projects. I plan to eat at a favorite restaurant, an Italian one around the corner from my dorm, which serves delicious food at cheap prices. I have been there the past couple days so they recognize me!

We leave at 6:15 a.m. to get to the airport and catch an Easy Jet flight to Geneva, then take a train from there to Lausanne. The conference begins Wed or Thurs, and we have to present on Saturday morning. We did a "dress rehearsal" this morning, and it went very well. It's amazing how much progress we have made in only three weeks time. Last night my group went to have dinner with an Iraqi woman and her two wonderful teenage daughters in their home. The homecooked traditional meal was very tasty and we talked education, politics, etc- Engy did much translating from Arabic to English. The woman had been a high school science teacher in Iraq and now cannot even volunteer here because she wears a headscarf. It seems ridiculous to me. I've learned much about what the "Dutch tolerance"means in reality vs. on paper...and from this perspective, many things re: ethnic populations & prevalence of discrimination here echo the U.S. environment for African Americans during the 50's and 60's.

Time to go. I am really looking forward to visiting Switzerland before heading home. I miss everyone and wish you could all be here to directly share the experience!

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Smartin said...

You're right, she cannot find a volunteer job at the senior center while wearing a headscarf. After ten years of living in Amsterdam, she is still temporary resident despite following the rules and wanting permanent status. She felt she was being given the runaround every time she applied to become permanent despite having legal representation. Because what she told us was translated, I cannot be sure of the details.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home